I read once, I think it was in Film Comment, a snide remark that a mainstream American movie made in the 90's had to have something to do with Las Vegas. I did my own research and well, it was pretty disturbing and presented a pretty solid case. Witness my (admittedly) incomplete and unchronological list:
- Honeymoon in Vegas, 1992. Obvious reasons...and the real genesis of all this insanity.
- Swingers, 1996. "Vegas baby! Vegas..." Ah well, still a good movie nonetheless.
- Go, 1999. The middle story. 'nuff Said.
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1998. Obvious reasons.
- Bugsy, 1991. A biopic about the man we can blame this trend on.
- Vegas Vacation, 1997. They had to freakin' go.
- Boogie Nights, 1997. The Adult Film Awards are in Vegas. Dammit.
- Leaving Las Vegas, 1995. Depression instead of fun, for a change. From the pretentious ass of Mike Figgis.
- Leprechaun 3, 1995. Oh dear. He's come to win his gold back...argh. Pain.
- Play it to the Bone, 2000. Oh fuck me. I hope this doesn't carry over into the next decade.
- Leprechaun 5: In the Hood, 2000. Oh fuck me backwards. I guess it is going to carry over.
- The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, 2000. asjklgsagLIKE I REALLY NEEDED TO CONFIRM THIS BULLSHIT.
- Casino, 1995. Well I guess we needed a historical look. And one with a great Joe Pesci beatdown.
- Con Air, 1997. Nic Cage should just buy fucking land in Vegas, he goes there at least twice a year in his movies.
- Showgirls, 1995. Do I really need to go on?
- Very Bad Things, 1998. Oh I can't do this any more...
If I continue I'll just have to do intense physical harm to myself so I won't. If somebody else wants to expand on this feel free.