An evergreen is also what journalists call a story that isn't time-sensitive.

The name given to a famous game of chess, played between Adolf Anderssen and J. Dufresne in 1852, at Berlin. Known as "Evergreen" because its fame is expected to last forever, while the game remains eternally fresh.

A bold combinational game in the high romantic style, it illustrates how Anderssen could always see a few steps ahead of his opponent, and could take advantage of a lead in development which resulted through natural intuitive play, though the principles of position play were unknown. He would happily sacrifice a knight, then rook, then queen, for an attack on the king which he foresaw before his opponent could have been aware of the danger, and he calculated more accurately.

Though, as Richard Reti points out in Masters of the Chessboard, with reference to Emanuel Lasker's analysis, Anderson failed to grasp the full implication of the middle game position, he played with a strong fighting spirit and triumphed through his greater combinational skill.

The moves, in algebraic notation are as follows:

Evans Gambit

  1. e4 e5
  2. Nf3 Nc6
  3. Bc4 Bc5
  4. b4 Bxb4
  5. c3 Ba5
  6. d4 exd4
  7. 0-0 d3
  8. Qb3 Qf6
  9. e5 Qg6
  10. Re1 Nge7
  11. Ba3 b5
  12. Qxb5 Rb8
  13. Qa4 Bb6
  14. Nbd2 Bb7
  15. Ne4 Qf5
  16. Bxd3 Qh5
  17. Nf6+ gxf6
  18. exf6 Rg8
  19. Rad1 Qxf3
  20. Rxe7+ Nxe7
  21. Qxd7+ Kxd7
  22. Bf5+ Ke8
  23. Bd7+ Kf8
  24. Bxe7++

Ev"er*green (?) a. Bot.

Remaining unwithered through the winter, or retaining unwithered leaves until the leaves of the next year are expanded, as pines cedars, hemlocks, and the like.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ev"er*green, n.

1. Bot.

An evergreen plant.

2. pl.

Twigs and branches of evergreen plants used for decoration.

"The funeral evengreens entwine."

Keble.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.