Evanescence is a Dark Rock/Goth band from Little Rock, Arkansas. Their music is characterised by the mix of mellow instrumentals, crunching guitar and haunting vocals from the distinctive voice of Amy Lee. While they were at one point seen as a Christian Rock band they have since distanced themselves from this, claiming that their songs have meaning on many levels.

Lee met the other founding member, Ben Moody at a Christian camp in their early teens. The initial encounter was provoked when Lee began to sing Meatloaf's I'd do anything for love whilst playing the piano. Moody was impressed, and went over to talk to her. They found that their musical tastes matched, and this eventually led to the founding of Evanescence.

The band evolved throught the late 90s, acquiring and discarding other members until they reached the current line up. During this time they became quite popular in Little Rock, and when they sold CDs of their music at live performances they inevitably sold out.

Lee writes most of the song and lyrics, and seems to be influenced by bands as diverse as Portishead, Linkin Park and Living Sacrifice. She however claims that she is not trying to fit into a specific genre, and seeks to further explore her musical interests.

Evanescence are:

Discography:

Origin
Although there were several limited edition releases before this, Origin, released independently in November 2000 was the first major release for Evanescence. Unfortunately, it is now out of print, and hard to get hold of.
  1. Origin
  2. Whisper
  3. Imaginary
  4. My Immortal
  5. Where Will You Go
  6. Fields Of Innocence
  7. Even In Death
  8. Anywhere
  9. Lies
  10. Away From Me
  11. Eternal
Fallen
Fallen is the first major label released by Evanescence. It was published by Wind-up Records, and released in March 2003. With this album Evanescence have become quite well known. The album may have sold well because the movie Daredevil, released shortly beforehand featured the (arguably the best) track Bring Me to Life.
  1. Going Under
  2. Bring Me To Life
  3. Everybody's Fool
  4. My Immortal
  5. Haunted
  6. Tourniquet
  7. Imaginary
  8. Taking Over Me
  9. Hello
  10. My Last Breath
  11. Whisper

Ev`a*nes"cence (?), n.

The act or state of vanishing away; disappearance; as, the evanescence of vapor, of a dream, of earthly plants or hopes.

Rambler.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.