Esther Forbes was born June 28, 1891, in Westborough, Massachusetts. She got her BA at Bradford Academy in 1912 and started grad work at the University of Wisconsin but left school in 1918 to do war work on a farm. After the war, she returned to Boston to join the editorial staff of Houghton Mifflin. One of her editorial achievements was the discovery of the popular historical novelist Rafael Sabatini.

She began writing books, and earned a name as a popular historical writer. She was often praised as a novelist who wrote like a historian and as a historian who wrote like a novelist. In 1943 she received the Pulitzer Prize for history for the best-selling biography Paul Revere and the World He Lived In. She would later write another book on Revere (America's Paul Revere), more accessible to young readers. The year after the Pulitzer, she would win the Newbery for Johnny Tremain, a story inspired by, guess what, the story of Paul Revere.

Forbes's second book, A Mirror for Witches, was adapted into a ballet. I don't know why.

Forbes died on August 12, 1967.


Books:

America's Paul Revere

Johnny Tremain   (1944 Newbery Award)

O Genteel Lady!

Paul Revere and the World He Lived In

A Mirror for Witches


thanks to:
http://www.edupaperback.org/authorbios/forbeses.html
www.amazon.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.