One of the mother french sauces, also known as the brown sauce. This one is very delicate and not often used alone, it is typically the basis of other sauces. As is, it is best served with red meats. And of course, this is just how I make it, there is no "correct" recipe. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the onion, cook until brown. Add the carrot and celery and cook several minutes until softened. Add the tomato paste and cook about 5 minutes. You want to carmelize the natural sugars in the paste, so look for it to get a deeper brownish color. In a second pan, combine the 1/2 C flour and 1/2 C oil to make a roux. Cook approximately 5 minutes, we want a blond roux which should be light in color. Meanwhile, add stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add a small amount of the stock mixture to the roux and combine so that there are no lumps, then add the roux to the stock. Whisk well to combine and return to a simmer.

Next, you'll want to add spices. Since this is a delicate smooth sauce, you should put your spices in a piece of cheesecloth and tie it up so that the pieces can be easily removed. Use what you like, I'd suggest 1 teaspoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 bay leaf, 6 peppercorns, 1 smashed clove garlic, and a sprig of rosmary. Add spices to the sauce, and simmer for 1 hour. Skim any fat off the top if needed. Remove the spice ball, and strain the sauce through cheesecloth.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.