In the written works of J.R.R. Tolkien, the Ephel Dúath (IPA: /ˈ efɛl ˈ duaθ/) is a place name in Tolkien's constructed language for the Grey Elves of Middle-Earth, Sindarin, for "encircling barrier of shadow," from ephel "outer fence" or "encircling fence," and dúath "shadow." The Ephel Dúath are a fictional range of mountains enclosing the region of Mordor to the south and west, separating it from the nation of Gondor on its western border, and from the region of Near Harad on its southern border. At the Black Gate of Mordor, the Ephel Dúath meet with another mountain range, the Ered Lithui (mountains of ash), which enclose Mordor on the north, separating it from its northern neighbour, Rhovanion. Because of these landforms and the presence of its allied territory of Rhûn to the east, Mordor is geographically cut off from all territories which might wish to attack or oppose it.

The Ephel Dúath only afford travelers four means of traversing them: first, an Eagle, Dragon, fell beast, or other flying creature may simply fly over the mountains, if they are willing to brave the toxic air and the many ballistic siege weapons at the disposal of Sauron, lord of the territory. Second, an army may pass through the Black Gate, which is the only point of access wide enough to allow anything more substantial in size than a few individual people at a time. Third, the Morgul Pass running between Minas Morgul and Mordor is sufficient in size to allow small numbers of travelers to slowly make their way through. Finally, most treacherous and inaccessible of all, but least observed and defended, is the Cirith Ungol, a cave-riddled mountain pass characterised by multiple nearly unnavigable stairs, and defended only by Shelob, a gargantuan spider who devours unwary travelers. This last path was the one used by Samwise Gamgee and Frodo Baggins in their mission to destroy the One Ring.

There was also an Italian progressive metal band called Ephel Dúath, formed in 1998 and disbanded in 2014 after creating six studio albums: Phormula (2000),
Rephormula (2002), The Painter's Palette (2003), Pain Necessary to Know (2005), Through My Dog's Eyes (2009), and Hemmed By Light, Shaped By Darkness (2013).


Iron Noder 2021, 9/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.