A movie released in midst of the December 1999 millennium hype, which featured a lousy comeback of Arnold Schwarzenegger (who as usuall, spoke occasional short phrases) as the savior of an innocent virgin girl from being seduced into sex (God forbid!) by Gabriel Byrne, who played Satan on earth (in his "human disguise"). Cheesy plot covered by visual effects, playing on the millennium hype (yet another story of the disasters to happen on that magical date, proven wrong by all those lucky geeks who spent it sleeping) and packed with Christian content (sex is evil, especially with the Prince of Darkness).

Some critic said that even such a horrible script couldn't ruin Gabriel Byrne's wonderful acting. I tend to agree.
I'm really glad that I didn't watch this movie until just today, long after the millenium crap was over and done with. If the world had ended, I would have wasted about two hours of what precious little time I had left.

"With your last breath, you shall bare witness to the crappiest movie ever made!"

I admit there were a few good parts, but Arnold needs to stick to his hardcore action thrillers, he pulls them off quite well in my opinion. He has trouble developing characters when he actually has to speak to do so. Regardless of the acting in the movie, some of which was excellent, the real reason I'm noding about this movie at all is this..

The thing I really disliked about the whole deal was the way they used religion as a tool of fear, which is how it is used quite often any way. That doesn't mean they had to follow suit. I also disliked the creature/monster type thing they used to represent the devil near the end. What was that? I really thought that just made the entire movie incredibly unrealistic. I guess it was any way, but that was like icing on the proverbial cake. Not to mention, I'm quite tired of these completely stupid religious awakening movies.

If you're going to produce one of these babies, could you at least make it like Stigmata and cover somewhat interesting, or even, God forbid, new ground?
End Of Days - 1999 (Collector's Edition) - Directed by Peter Hyams

Running Time: 123 minutes. Rated R by the MPAA.

Special Features:

Technical Features:

Lots of extras... again, couldn't check the ROM, but if it's like most others, it's nothing special... Universal did a good job with this disc.

More DVD Reviews

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.