Emmenagogues *technically* restore the menstrual cycle if it's gotten off-kilter and helps regulate it for women who are very irregular, but they have other uses as well. They are almost universally good for menstrual cramps and relieving pms--both by treating the symptoms and starting the cycle just slightly earlier, to reduce the duration of the pain.

some herbal emmenagogues (usually taken in the forms of teas):
cohosh (blue preferred, but black works too)
pennyroyal
mugwort/motherwort (i've personally had good luck with this)
blessed thistle (*NOT RECOMMENDED* effective, but be *very careful* as large doses induce vomiting)
chamomile (nice because you can buy prepared chamomile tea instead of having to fix it yourself from raw herbs)
the mint family (especially wintergreen and peppermint)
sage
tansy (has a reputation of being one of the best and safest options).

As with any herbal, proper research before taking is the only way to use these safely. the *average* tea dosage is about a teaspoon of the herb in a full mug of water. let this steep for some time. note: *don't* expect most of these to taste good, they're disgusting. i cannot drink most of these without adding sugar, honey, and sometimes letting the tea cool then adding fruit juice. Mix things as you will to make it drinkable, but do NOT mix herbal remedies with alcohol as there may be severe side effects. it is also not a good idea to mix them with caffiene.

Again: this is a beginning *recommendation*. Please do not take these remedies without researching them. Also be aware results will vary from person to person and they may NOT all work on you.

Em*men"a*gogue (?), n. [Gr. , n. pl., menses ( in + month) + leading, fr. to lead: cf. F. emm'enagogue.] Med.

A medicine that promotes the menstrual discharge.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.