HENRY DAVID THOREAU knocks on a door. RALPH WALDO EMERSON answers it.

EMERSON: What a grand pleasure to see you, my intellectual friend! How goes your afternoon?

THOREAU: Ah, it goes, it goes, friend Ralph. But tell me --

EMERSON: Have you, perhaps, discovered some brilliant new tenet of naturalism?

THOREAU: Well --

EMERSON: Or cross-analyzed humanity's tendency to complicate its own existence through unjust forms of mass government?

THOREAU: Actually, I've been living in a shack in the woods.

EMERSON: Ahem. I see. So, what brings you here?

THOREAU: Well, you see, amid my ponderings -- do I smell fried chicken?

EMERSON: Yes, my wife just cooked it. But continue, continue. Your ponderings?

THOREAU: Uh, yes. You understand, as I was considering the, uh, fundamental whaddayacallums of human nature, I realized that, uh, people -- I'm sorry, but that smell is truly engrossing. Might I trouble you for a bite of that delicious poultry?

EMERSON: But wouldn't that conflict with your goal of independence and self-sufficiency?

THOREAU: Well, yes, but you see, it smells so delightful --

LYDIA EMERSON (from inside): Is that damned Henry Thoreau at the door?

EMERSON: Yes, dear, I'm afraid it is.

LYDIA: Well, tell him to come back when his transcendentalist philosophy includes a job!

THOREAU: But --

EMERSON: You heard the lady. Go eat berries, or whatever it is you do. (Door slams.)

THOREAU: Blast. Perhaps this sacrifice will lead to great intellectual discovery. Or perhaps Lydia has left open the kitchen window... (He exits.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.