Capital of the Easternmost Austrian Bundesland (state) Burgenland. Eisenstadt is found in the North of the Burgenland on the southern end of the Leitha mountains about 182 meters above sea level. Austria's smallest city (Postal code 7000) has only 13.664 inhabitants on an area of 42.90km² (318 inhabitants/km²) after the last census in 2002. The area in and around Eisenstadt (the four districts are termed Oberberg, Unterberg, Kleinhöflein and St. Georgen) has been populated since the Hallstatt time and was first mentioned in 1118 as castrum ferrum. Since 1445 the town has been under the rulership of several Austrian and Hungarian sovereigners, like the Habsburg or Esterházy families.

After World War I Austria and Hungary competed for the affiliation of the Burgenland and Eisenstadt, after the peace treaty of St. Germain in 1921 it became part of Austria, on April 30th 1925 Eisenstadt became the domicile of the provincial government of the Burgenland. During World War II the city was heavily bombed and was occupied by Soviet troups from 1945 until 1955, when the Austrian Staatsvertrag was signed.

The city claims to be the birthplace of famous composer Joseph Haydn.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.