Here is a pronunciation guide for some common words from the ancient language spoken in Egypt. This list came from the inside box cover of a very cool collection of games that teach you all about ancient Egypt while you play, In the Land of Egypt published by Aristoplay, a purveyor of educational games.
the defintions were extrapolated from playing the games. See, it does work.

Ammit -- AM it
The creature-god to whom Anubis feeds the souls of the wicked.

amulet -- AM u let
Good luck charm, wear one to gain favor with the gods.

Amun -- AM mun
King of the Gods (but not the Supreme God like Osiris), wears a Crown of two plumes. Sometimes refered to as Amun-Ra.

ankh -- AHnk
Charm to keep in the afterlife to ward off evil.

Anubis -- a NOOB is
Jackal headed God of Judgement. Weigher of souls. Hope you were good in your lifetime.

ba -- BAH
The part of the soul that leaves the mummy.

cartouche -- car TOOSH
Ornament shaped like an oval with a straight edge meeting one end. Inside the cartouche were the hieroglyphics that spell the name of the king or queen.

Cleopatra -- KLEE oh PAT rah
Egyptian Queen. Had an affair with a Roman.

Giza -- GEE za
Nile city in Egypt where most of the remaining pyramids still stand.

Hathor -- HATH er
Wears the head or horns of a cow, is the Goddess of love, sky, and joy.

Hieroglyphics -- HIRE oh GLIF iks
Pictorial writing system used in ancient Egypt.

Horus -- HOR us
The God of the Sun, also the son of Isis and Osiris. He wears the head of a falcon.

Imhotep -- im HO tep
Eyptian doctor, pyramid builder and astronomer.

Khufu -- KOO foo
Egyptian King. His pyramid is 48 stories tall and still stands at Giza.

ibis -- EYE bis
Sacred bird.

Isis -- EYE sis
Fertility Goddess, wife to Osiris. Wears a headress of cow horns with a moon between them.

ka -- KAH
The part of the soul that remains in the tomb with the mummy.

Ma'at -- MAH at
Goddess of Law and Order. Her scales were used by Anubis to weigh the soul of the deceased.

obelisk -- AHB uh lisk
Think: Washington Momument: a structure with four sheer, tall sides with a square pyramid on top. Prayers or messages usually adorn the sides of the obelisk.

Orion -- Oh RYE on
Constellation honoring The Great Hunter.

Osiris -- oh SIRE is
Wears the crown of upper Egypt, is the King of Eternity, the head God. Also the husband of Isis.

pharoah -- FARE oh
King or Queen in Egypt, they are considered a living God/Goddess.

Ra -- RAH
The SUN GOD (not to be confused with Horus, who is the God of the Sun). Ra created the Earth.

scarab -- SCARE ab
Good luck beetle.

Selket -- SEL ket
Wears a scorpion on her head, is the patroness of magicians and the guardian of the dead, also the protector of life.

Sphinx -- SFINKS
Half man/half lion. A statue of the great Sphinx stands at Giza.

Thebes -- THEEBES
City in ancient Egypt.

Thoth -- TOTE
Wears the head of a baboon or ibis bird. Thoth is the God of Wisdom and gets credit for inventing the arts, sciences and hieroglyphic writing.

Zoser -- SOE ser
King of Egypt. Zoser's pyramid has four 'steps'.

Actually, the names of the gods as given in this node are the Greek corruptions of their Kemetic (Egyptian) names. So

Anubis = Anpu
Horus = Heru
Isis = Ast
Ma'at = Ma'at (they got one right at least)
Osiris = Asar
Ra = Re
Thoth = Djwety (pronounced jeHOOtee)
Sorry, sucko, but this is bullshit; oceans of ink have been spilled over how to pronounce Egyptian, and nobody knows much more now than we did 50 years ago. That's what you get from a language where they don't write weak vowels. Plus, two of the strong vowels they do write, w and j, are consonantal glides, so that's a crapshoot either way.

Accurate transcription is just as hard; English has no letters for the aleph (kind of a cross between and a and an l, really not a vowel) or qof (like a k that starts very deep in your throat) sounds, so you have to use linguistic notation common to Semitics.

Add to that four h's: that's right, count 'em, four. First h is like an English h, plain and simple. Second h (written with a dot underneath), is heavily aspirated; exhale heavily, and you'll come close. Third h is a harsh guttural, pronounced something like the German 'ach' or Scottish 'Loch'. Fourth h is a soft guttural, pronounced something like the German 'ich'.

Side note, for god's sakes, why use the term Kemetic? I'll just say it straight; it's for fucking poseurs who want to sound smart. Knock it off.

Having said that, here's correct transcriptions:

Anubis: inpw
Horus: hrw Isis: is.t
Osiris: wsir
Ra: r'
Thoth: I'm not going to try; second d (pronounced like English j)-second h-w-t-y.

Look strange? It is. That's why there won't be any attempts at chanting Egyptian rituals for this cowboy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.