Egg Drop Soup Recipe

2 cups chicken broth
1/8 t. white pepper
1/2 t. soy sauce
1/4 t. sesame oil
1 t. corn starch
1 egg
veggies (optional)

Heat broth, pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil until it just begins to boil. Add veggies if desired. Add cornstarch by mixing with either water or some of the broth to make a thin paste and stirring it into the soup to thicken.

Whisk the egg and using a fork, drizzle over the boiling soup. Reduce heat to keep it warm until ready to serve. This serves 2 people as a side or as an appetizer. It's not quite enough for a full meal without fudging by adding a little extra broth or water.

NOTES: All ingredient amounts can be varied to taste. The key ingredient is the sesame oil. I sometimes like to add a little white pepper to the egg before dropping it in the soup.

Source: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/soup/eggdrop-soup.html


Moved by editor request from eggdrop

"Corn starch"? "Paste"? "Whisk"? If, like me, you are a dorm room cook, these instructions are laughable. What follows is something you may not actually be far too lazy to attempt.

Incredible Lazy Egg Drop Soup of SUPERTASTE!!

INGREDIENTS (ALL KEY)!

  • 1 package Sesame Chicken flavor Ramen!
  • 1 single serving soy sauce packet (may or may not be LIFTED from nearby takeout chinese!)
  • 1 egg. I love these things!
  • Pepper!
  • Chopsticks!! (spoon for even more incredibly lazy)
  • Water! (MOST COSMIC KEY INGREDIENT OF ALL)
  • Hot pot (if you don't have one of these by now, you are foolish and do not deserve the secrets of egg drop power)

INSTRUCTIONS (not necessarily to be carefully followed)

  1. Plug in the hot pot (and turn to highest setting)
  2. Pour in some water!
  3. Surf internet while water boils
  4. Add sesame oil and seasoning (amazingly included WITH RAMEN FOR FREE)
  5. Add ramen noodles!
  6. Pause for a moment as noodles soften, study the perfection of the egg and reflect on the similarity of its shape and potential to Buddha mind (http://www.buddhamind.info)
  7. THE NOODLES ARE READY!@@!# BREAK EGG WITH GUNG-FU EGG CHOP MOVE and ADD TO BOILING WATER and STIR WITH FIERCENESS
  8. Pour into large bowl and enjoy! You have perfected the Lazy Egg Drop Technique and earned the respect of many.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.