We're not perfect. There are a lot of items that need work, and a lot of different things that are broken in minute ways. They are the growing pains of a publicly developed website. We are in a constant state of beta, but hey, it keeps things exciting. We'd like you to report any problems that you're having, because we, the caretakers and floorwashers, like this to be a generally pleasant experience for you.

If you are comfortable using Github, bugs can be submitted to the E2 Github page. Otherwise, you can post bugs here, or contact your local site editor.


Things that probably are NOT bugs:

  • "Error: Timeout/Server Error/Unknown Error" which appears after a vote or message takes a while to send. These indicate either the server took too long to finish a request or you lost the network connection midprocess.
  • "Sumbit", "stumbit" and other such creative buttons are one of our little in-jokes. They're intentional.
Please report the following things whether or not they seem relevant:
  • Page the error occurred on
  • A screenshot if it's hard to describe. Post them in Picpaste.
  • Your theme
  • Your browser
  • The time it occurred, down to about a half an hour block. We don't need a stopwatch and second, just about when. We'll do the rest.
Hopefully with all of your eyes and ears out there, we'll keep this place running smooth as um, an active website.

Thanks

I use Chatterlight, Chatterlighter and My Chatterlight. I don't remember all the features for the three, but this evening it seems none of them can bring up both chat and private messages. I'm sure at least two of the three provide that service, but am pulling out grey hairs to remember all the options. But my instincts say something isn't quite working.
Private messages are provided by default in the chatterbox nodelet, which both chatterlight and chatterlighter use. However, if you have the Messages nodelet disabled, the chatterbox nodelet does not display private messages, so you don't get them listed twice. However, in the case of chatterlight and chatterlighter, this means you have to go to another page to view your private messages.

This is known behavior. My thought on the matter are that (1) chatterlight should be retired and (2) chatterlighter should have a tab for the Messages nodelet if it's enabled.

-om 2011 June 29

I have a reward up on Everything's Most Wanted... For reasons unexplained it's up there twice.

I have a suspicion about this - the second, lower reward used to be my ransom for Lake Baikal, but when a user cashed that in it didn't leave the page... Now, since I've added a new reward, it's entry on the page has become a duplicate of the new one... There's a fuxed indexing table somewhere, methinks.

Not quite what Auduster suspected. I was on this one and forgot about it. It's actually pretty simple, and due to the fragile design of Most Wanted. Whether a user has a bounty is tracked in their VARS. If this value somehow gets lost from somebody's VARS, when they award a bounty, the bounty won't be removed. Most Wanted just needs to be made a little more robust in this fashion.

User Clockmaker reports that the achievement "Printing Press", which is supposed to be awarded for writing more writeups than any other noder in a month, does not appear to function. The code in question is located in writeupsMonthMost and simply returns 0. It was likely disabled after the switch to InnoDB, as aggregate statements, like the GROUP BY that was inevitably used, are far more expensive with row level locks.

This should be a monthly cron job (or implemented, equivalently, in a nodelet) which queries all writeups published in a month grouped by publisher_id, finds if there's a clear winner (SELECT COUNT(node_id) 'num_published' ... ORDER BY num_published LIMIT 2, if the two num_published don't match, there's a winner; or do something more complex to award to all people who tie for most that month), and awards the achievement appropriately. This is a good candidate to use the slave MySQL DB since stale data is unlikely to have an effect.


2011 Nov 28

Users IWhoSawTheFace and Tem42 both reported difficulty viewing their own homenodes.  This is most likely due to timeouts, being exacerbated by the presently overtaxed servers.

Diagnosis is difficult since neither user has provided further details in an E2 Bugs entry. If you have a problem like this, please report it here and provide time you were accessing your homenode (including timezone) and browser(s) you were using.

In general, a large number of slow pageloads right now are for user homenodes, whether accessed by the user erself or by others.  Most likely, accessing it by erself tips things over the edge because the counting of messages to oneself is fairly expensive.  Profiling homenode display would be wise.  The issue may simply be that there are many htmlcodes used only in homenode display, so a bunch of code has to be loaded from disk, and homenodes are relatively rarely displayed, so we might want to trim them down.


2011 Nov 28

Now that htmlcodes are being cached, the voting footers (maybe still in voteit ...?) accumulate text from each previous run.  This causes a confusing display esp. on E2 Bugs because the "(unvoteable)" text repeats a dozen times by the final writeup in the node.

Fixed!


2011 Nov 28

Using the ABC button to strike out text in the WYSIWIG editor causes the text to appear struck out in the editor but only in the editor. If you click on the "HTML" button, it shows no tag has been added, and submitting effectively erases the formatting.


2011 Nov 29

The indent button also appears to do nothing, reflecting only upon first application, but not actually changing any HTML.  It should create a blockquote.

This is such a small thing that it seems churlish to complain, and I don't even remember if browsers provide an interface to scroll textareas. But it's bothered me for nearly a decade now. If they do, it would be very nice if, upon updating a draft, the textarea in which the draft is composed were scrolled to the bottom automatically, rather than the top, given that that's where you're likely to be concentrated.

DEAR EVERYONE FIX THIS AND DELETE THIS REQUEST PLEASE AND THANK YOU

When you create a public draft of the same name as a nodeshell, it 'disapears' as soon as someone else publishes a writeup in that nodeshell -- you can now only reach it by going to "user's drafts" and looking through that list.


Apparently level 0 users can see categories created by Guest User on their category nodelet, along with an 'Add To Category' link, but these links do nothing.


Usergroup leaders do not appear to have a way to edit the user group descriptions.


When you remove a writeup back to draft, there is no indication as to how you would access it again. You cannot see your draft in the nodeshell, I received no msg upon removing my WU, and searching for the draft title just found the nodeshell. Very frustrating.

It is also annoying that the 'repost draft' option is in a different place than the options used to post the draft originally. Why make people go hunting?


The message "Table formatting error: table closed with /tr" appeared as soon as I posted a node. I would rather that the message appear when I updated the draft... After all, the point of a draft is to catch that sort of thing.


The insert a table feature and the insert special character buttons on our WYSIWYG editor just give you a blank popup.


If bug reports that can not be worked on quickly (or are not worth working on) could be deleted (and recorded elsewhere as necessary), that would make posting a second bug report easier.

The Gold star notification message is truncated, or at least needs some tweaking.

Cool Man Eddie says Sweet! Klaproth just awarded you a Gold Star, because superduperbeautifulnode

That's all. Not even a link to the superduperbeautifulnode in question. Also, the link to Gold Star is broken and the italic tags around the node title (but not around the word "says"!!?!) render as <i></i> in Message Inbox (but not Chatterlight??!?) (but that might just be my screwy style defacer stuff)

This is a test writeup. Please don't remove this without asking me. -jaybonci

Messages (public and private) are able to be submitted through both POST and GET requests. I was able to post a link in the chatbox that people clicked which caused them to say things they didn't type themselves. Messages (and probably a few other opcodes) should be limited to POSTs.

https://ascorbic.net/catbox/archive/5155480/

As I'm returning nodes, I'm noticing that the metadata (votes, XP, etc) is missing, meaning they're getting voted and C!ed up again. Should I be concerned about this as gaming the system or shrug and accept it?

alex sez: Known flaw in procedure design which may be addressed some day. DonJaime adds only affects writeups that were nuked back in the old days, so should become less relevant in time.

Stars circumvent ignoring and abominating. Should probably fix this, as it can be used to communicate through said ignoring and abominating. Thanks.

So there's this guy

Mp3 link (awesome idea) leads to nothing. Not sure if this is a link or hosting issue but thought I should let someone know.

The last page of jessicaj user search has 5 daylogs with a published date of "never". The links work and I can vote of them but on the nodes themselves they also list a published date of "never".
Example

The inventory for user cools stops at 49 no matter how they are sorted.

Using Firefox on Windows. Confirmed also broken on Firefox for Safari
99% humidity
The link works everywhere (Individual user lists, softlinks, the cool archive etc, the actual page for new writeups) fine except in the new nodes nodelet. where it leads to a 400 Bad Request. Looks like because of how the % is coded differently when accessed through new writeups.

https://everything2.com/title/99%2525+humidity
vs broken below
https://everything2.com/title/99%%20humidity?author_id=1984113#Intentions

I found today that on my mobile device an apple i8 13.3.1 that the node forward E2 FAQ would not open into a new page. There was no error generated, the target page just failed to open. Other users were able to open the link when I entered it into the cat box but I could not.

I have twohrair bugs! Bibugged wertperch meets two issues in 24 hours.

1. Writeups by Type https://everything2.com/node/superdoc/Writeups+by+Type

The thing is, it includes writeups from a user I have blocked and whose writeups I thought invisible to me via Pit of Abomination

2. Ask me how I know about this one. Text formatted thus does not display, and borks everything after it: Gothic text taken from https://textandfonts.com/gothic-text-generator/ breaks it.

3. On Android phone using Firefox 99.1.1 (I think!) the reader feature borks things. It looks like it picks one writeup in a node and displays that. Of course it could be my phone, but I'd love someone to test it.

4. simple usergroup editor works to add/remove users, but throws an error: Server Error (Error Id 246890)!. Fixed -jb

2022-04-21

Stuart says:

I found today that on my mobile device an apple i8 13.3.1 that the node forward E2 FAQ would not open into a new page. There was no error generated, the target page just failed to open. Other users were able to open the link when I entered it into the cat box but I could not.

I've found this happening to several other pipe links that *should* be redirects but sometimes are not. Namely: voting/experience system (that should forward to The Everything2 Voting/Experience System), user settings (that should forward to Settings) and E2 FAQ like Stuart mentions.

These links resolve correctly when right clicking and selecting "Open in a new private window" but not when left-clicking, middle-clicking or Ctrl-clicking.

Tested on Windows 10; Firefox 99.0.1 (64-bit)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.