Dylan Klebold is known as one of the gunmen who entered Columbine High School on April 20, 1999 and opened fire on staff and students. The other shooter was Eric Harris.

Dylan Bennett Klebold was born on September 11, 1981 in Denver, Colorado. Son of Mr. Thomas Klebold and Mrs. Susan (Yassenoff) Klebold, younger brother to Byron Klebold.

Dylan attended Normandy Elementary School in Littleton, Colorado, for first and second grade and then transferred to Governor's Ranch Elementary School where he was part of CHIPS (Challenging High Intellectual Potential Students) program for gifted and talented children.

During his earlier school years, he played T-ball, baseball and soccer. At Columbine High School Dylan was active in the school play productions as a light and sound coordinator as well as being involved in video productions and Columbine High School's Rebel News Network. Dylan was a computer assistant at school and helped maintain the school computer server.

Dylan was described by many who knew him to be a follower and he latched onto Eric Harris. He was also described as lacking confidence in himself and being very shy. In March of 1998, the boys had been arrested on felony charges of criminal trespassing and theft for breaking into a car and stealing some tools. Klebold and Harris had made such a good impression on the juvenile officers involved in the case that they were offered to have their records cleared if they promised to stay out of trouble and participate in a diversionary program. Harris was required to attend anger management classes.

Dylan played Fantasy Baseball on a regular basis and excelled in school. He was making plans for the future right up until the week and day before the shootings since he had already put down money for a dorm at University of Arizona where he planned to major in computer science. The whole Klebold family drove to Arizona with Dylan on March 25, 1999 to pick out Dylan's dorm room.

During the Columbine shootings Dylan wore Army-green cargo pants, a black T-shirt on which was written 'Wrath' and a black trench coat. Dylan was left-handed (as confirmed by the Klebolds' lawyer Frank Patterson) and wore a black fingerless glove on his left hand, the right hand of the matching set of gloves was worn by Eric Harris. Dylan was carrying an Intratec TEC 9 attached to a strap slung over his shoulder and a Stevens 12-gauge double-barrel shotgun which had been sawed down to approximately 23 inches. He also wore a utility belt and carried various bombs. Dylan had fired a total of 55 9mm rounds from his TEC-9: 3 outside the school, 31 inside the school and 21 in the library. He had fired a total of 12 shotgun rounds: 2 outside the school, 4 inside the school and 6 in the library. Dylan's rampage ended when he took his own life by firing a TEC-9 9mm round into the left side of his head.

Dylan's autopsy summary is as follows:

Final Anatomic Diagnoses:

1. Through and through close contact large calibre gunshot wound involving the left side of the head (region of the left temple) associated with:
A. Brain injuries - lacerations and contusions
B. Skull fractures
C. Subdural hemorrhage

2. Aspiration blood lower airway and lungs

COMMENT: The autopsy findings in this case reveal that the cause of death is due to brain injuries secondary to a close contact, large calibre, through and through gunshot wound involving the left side of the head. This gunshot wound is consistent with self-infliction.

Signed,
Ben Galloway, M.D.
Forensic Pathologist

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.