An interesting side note on Homer J. Simpson's beverage of choice is that there really IS a Duff Beer. It was brewed and distributed in New South Wales, Australia. They were sued by the producers of the Simpson's because of the use of Duff on their cans in such a manner that was very similar to the Simpson's. The exact order was (according to law.harvard.edu) to restrain the South Austrailian Brewing Company from "promoting or dealing with any product in the form of a can" ... "with the wording, get-up and name".

Duff Beer (along with many other references to the cartoon) are all under trademark, and are thus protected internationally. Groening and friends prevailed, forcing Duff Beer to be a rarity and thus quite a collectors' item.

Duff can also be the almost broken down leaves and such on the forest floor. The top layer of dirt is mostly just "stuff" from bushes and trees, and not yet turned into true "dirt". That stuff is duff.


Very useful for gardening, (I beleive it puts Nitrogen back into the soil) and good insulation when piled over sleeping bags if it's extremely cold, and the ground isn't wet.

Acronym for Designated Ugly Fat Friend, the person in a group of men or women who is clearly perceived to be least physically attractive person.

They may be genuine friends with other members of the group, or may just be there through design, for example:

  • To make the group appear charitable
  • To act as a source for favours
  • To play the role of a confederate when the group meets members of the opposite sex (assuming that if a guy is nice to the DUFF, then he will be nice to the cool chick)
  • To attend a cool girl's blind date for security purposes

Duff (duf), n. [From OE. dagh. √67. See Dough.]

1.

Dough or paste. [Prov. Eng.] Halliwell.

2.

A stiff flour pudding, boiled in a bag; -- a term used especially by seamen; as, plum duff.

 

© Webster 1913


Duff (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Duffed; p. pr. & vb. n. Duffing.] [Etym. uncertain.] [Colloq. or Slang]

1.

To treat or manipulate so as to give a specious appearance to; to fake; hence, to cheat.

2.

In Australia, to alter the brands on (cattle, horses, etc.); to steal (cattle, etc.), and alter their brands.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.