Anthony J. Drexel established the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry in 1891 to meet the needs of a rapidly growing industrial society. Today, the six colleges and three schools that proudly bear the name Drexel University provide businesses and the professions with graduates who have the knowledge, skills, experience, initiative, and confidence to play leading roles in a technologically driven global economy.

The engineering curriculum called E4 was designed by Dr. Quinn, who passed away January of 2000. E4 is named as such for incorporating co-op learning, technology, research and leadership. Implemented in 1988 and supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation who later adopted the E4 curriculum as the standard for teaching engineering in universities.

Drexel University includes the following Schools and Colelges within it:

Drexel University offers degree programs at Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral levels.
According to the drexel website, http://www.drexel.edu, In 1891, near the end of a long and prosperous life, Philadelphia financier and philanthropist Anthony J. Drexel founded the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry, providing educational opportunities in the "practical arts and sciences" for women and men from all walks of life. As society's need for technically proficient leaders grew, so did Mr. Drexel's institution, becoming Drexel Institute of Technology in 1936, and then Drexel University in 1970. Mr. Drexel and his niece, Blessed Katharine Drexel, held a shared mission in life-education. They founded two universities, both of which are thriving: Xavier University in New Orleans by Blessed Katharine in 1917, and Drexel University by Anthony.

Drexel is also the only school offering a mandatory co-operative education ("co-op") program in Pennsylvania, and one of only three in the United States, Drexel's 81-year-old co-op program is one of the nation's oldest, largest, and most respected. A five-year program, undergraduates alternate periods of on-campus study with full-time employment in fields related to their academic interests during their second, third and fourth years. By their fifth year, Drexel undergraduates have worked 18 months in professional-level jobs related to their academic and career interests.

Drexel is also famous for it's Engineering Curriculum. The University's undergraduate engineering program, ranked among the nation's top 50 by U.S. News & World Report, has been designated a national model by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The third largest private engineering school in the country, Drexel ranks in the top 10 percent of colleges of engineering in the number of baccalaureate degrees granted.

Also, according to numerous sources, Drexel is the first university in the US to require all students attending to have a fairly powerful computer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.