I am the wife of some famous figure, Cole Porter, I think. I've spent my days waiting for his return from some event of some kind. Perhaps this is simply a transfer of the first bits of The Odyssey (which appeared on the SciFi Channel just before I retired for the night) and I am Penelope. The two storylines have become muddled. In any event, I trust my husband, which many find unusual -- they may even think I'm naive.

I spend day after day busying myself with keeping our home ready for his return, even though I do not know for certain that he will ever return. At a deeper level there is a slow fire of rage burning at how things are turning out, and why I must be expected to exhibit such patience and fidelity.

The fidelity is not really a problem; there is no one I would rather be with, and I do not find any of those who vie for my attentions the least bit interesting or appealing. In fact, they repulse.

It is patience that is my failing, and I am more than a few times tempted to blasphemous thoughts and actions as the time takes its toll and my children grow older and older, with no memory of their father worth speaking of.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.