The name of the strict Athenian lawmaker, Drako (c. 621 BC), does come from drakon, "dragon", so it follows that the meaning of his name would be remembered along with his strict laws. Drako's ordinances on homicide remained active well into the rule of Solon (6th BC).

And I don't think that Bill Clinton should be mentioned in a simile with draconian. Try Pol Pot.

Draconians, in the Dungeons & Dragons world of Dragonlance, come in various shapes and levels of harm. They are formed when evil clerics perform a ritual upon good dragon eggs to bring forth a spirit from the Abyss to inhabit the corrupted dragon form. Rather than hatching as baby dragons, after the corruption ritual a "draconian" emerges. Draconians stand upon two legs at about the height of a human or similar species. They have wings but, with the exception of Sivak draconians (see below), lack the ability to fly. Depending on which species (discernable by colour) of good dragon an egg comes from, the resulting draconian is different not only in appearance but abilities as well. Draconians generally don't carry weapons and instead use their claws, etc. as weaponry. All draconians are evil aligned.

The following information has been gathered from the 2nd Edition AD&D computer games Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn:

  • Baaz draconians come from copper dragon eggs. When slain, a Baaz's body might retain its foe's weapon in its corpse.
  • Kapak draconians result from corrupted brass dragon eggs. When slain, Kapaks release a harmful acidic liquid.
  • Bozak draconians result from the corruption of bronze dragon eggs and explode upon their deaths.
  • Sivak draconians come from corrupted silver dragon eggs and are the only draconians that can fly (thanks IanOji). There is no special effect that results from their death.
  • Aurak draconians, the most dangerous and troublesome to slay of the creatures, are the result of corrupted gold dragon eggs. Auraks go through several stages of "death" and immunity to various weaponry and spells before finally exploding.

Dra*co"ni*an (?), a.

Pertaining to Draco, a famous lawgiver of Athens, 621 b. c.

Draconian code, ∨ Draconian laws, a code of laws made by Draco. Their measures were so severe that they were said to be written in letters of blood; hence, any laws of excessive rigor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.