Here's some helpful info on taking care of your own dracaenas.

Potting:
Dracaena as with most tropicals will flourish in almost any well drained soil. Most growers use a mixture containing peat moss, bark and sand. The majority of plants grown are in 6", 8", 10" and 14” pots. Some varieties such as Marginata are grown in sizes up to 100 gallons and can reach heights of 15 or more feet. Most plants can grow in relatively small containers. Heights of 5-6 feet are not uncommon in a 10” pot. This can cause the plant to become “top heavy”; use a larger decorative container to help balance the plant.

Water:
Depending on the indoor environment watering should be weekly. Many people overwater the plant keeping the soil soggy. Soil should be kept moist but not soggy. Dracaenas like the soil to dry out between waterings, but excessive drying out can cause brown tips and edges. When watering, use water that is at room temperature. City water should sit to allow chlorination to evaporate. Fluoride in the water can lead to tip burn. Janet Craig is one variety that will tolerate considerable dryness BUT the plant should be relatively free of fertilizer, this can also lead to tip burn. Dracaenas also grow very well with sub-irrigation.

Light:
Dracaenas will survive low interior light but would prefer bright filtered light. (They also like fluorescent, makes 'em great for offices.) Position dracaenas near or opposite a curtained southern window. Janet Craig has been used by interior plantscapers for many years when a low light dracaena is needed. Plants that have been acclimated for use indoors should NOT be placed in direct sun or it will sunburn.

Fertilizer:
When grown indoors dracaenas have almost no need to be fertilized. If you must fertilize any well balanced fertilizer such as 20-20-20 will maintain growth. Pelleted fertilizers also work but read instructions carefully. Indoors plants grow slower and therefore have lower requirements for food. If you are going to fertilize apply approximately 1/4 recommended strength. Over-fertilizing can produce burning of tips and roots. Fertilizers can also cause tip burn if you allow your dracaena to dry out.

Temperature:
Dracaenas enjoy warm conditions between 68-85 daytime temperature and prefer a 10 degree drop at nighttime. Cold, and drafty conditions in the 40's and 50's will slow growth considerably. Extended periods below 50's can damage leaves, stems and roots on some varieties. "Massangeana" can begin to show leaf damage at temperatures below 50 degrees and some varieties leaves will begin to spot with temperatures in the 40's and lower.

Humidity:
Humidity above 25-30% is best but will tolerate long periods down to 10-15%.


Go back to 'Dracaena'

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.