Doswell is a small unincorporated town in Hanover County, Virginia. It is located in central Virginia north of Richmond, Virginia along I-95. The 2007 census lists Doswell as having a population of 2,102. It would seemingly be just a bedroom community of Richmond to the south, or of Fredericksburg, Virginia to the north. It contains at least 3 sites of interest.

Thrills

It is the home of Paramount's Kings Dominion amusement park. In a setting containing 400 acres, the park features several thrill rides, roller coasters, and other amusements for the adrenaline powered. Other features are suited for smaller guests. There are also live shows focusing on music and animated characters. There is also a water park as part of the complex.

Horse racing history

Just across the hill along US 30 lies Meadow Stable, birthplace and former home of Triple Crown winner Secretariat. In his career Secretariat had a record of 21-16-3-1 and had winnings of over 1.3 million dollars. His legacy includes siring a prodigious 653 foals, a bloodline which has produced 57 Stakes winners.

Trucking radio history

Across Rt 30 from King's Dominion lies All-American Plaza, a large truckstop complex and one of the last opportunities for big rig parking along the I-95 corridor before the Washington, DC/ Baltimore, Md. corridor. It used to be known as Jerrell's Truckstop, or to old timers simply as 'Geraldine's'. It had a large cafeteria style dining area with good and plentiful food. Upstairs was a broadcast booth from which originated Big John Trimble's trucking radio show. The show ran for 18 years on WRVA radio (AM 1240).

Mr. Jerrell sold his operation to another truckstop operator, one which was not successful. It soon sold the facility to All-American Plaza, the present operator. It is still more of an old school truckstop rather than the chrome plated chain franchise so common to the trucking industry these days. It is, however, a far cry from Geraldine's.

Sources:

http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/Doswell_VA-72304700000.aspx
http://www.bigjohntrimble.com/banner_links/trimble.html
http://www.secretariat.com/
http://www.kingsdominion.com/#actions

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.