George arrived at the snack bar at Target around noon, about ten minutes after I arrived (stuck, waiting for someone to do some quick errands).
He looked to be in his 70s, but could be older, I have a hard time with ages. He wore a short sleeve dress shirt and a pair of dress pants pulled up almost to his sternum, but no tie, so I don't think he was coming from Church.

George ordered a cup of coffee and then sat down to a small table in the corner by the soda machine. He spent several minutes attempting to clean off his table with a few napkins, then spread a sandwich out on a cloth handkerchief, but did not eat any of it. He was obviously waiting.

Doris came in about ten minutes later, carrying a large purse and a large supplies of what looked to be cleaning wipes. Doris took it upon herself to clean her seat, the other table (next to George) and then sat down next to him and took out a lunch box that included a bottle of juice and an apple. I suppose this was her contribution to the meal.

I was far enough away I could not hear any of their conversation, but I could not help but wonder about their choice of eating establishment. Neither wore red, and so were not employees taking a lunch break. Neither had a shopping bag, so apparently this was not a shopping trip and lunch sort of plan. Why here? Why on a Sunday?

George and Doris ate quietly and appeared to say little to each other. They sat next to each other (not on opposite sides of the table) though, and seemed pleased to be spending time together. They ignored the loud children who spilled frozen cokes and the grumpy teenage counter girl who cleaned it up.

This was a quiet couple largely oblivious to their surroundings in a very public place. Perhaps they had run away from competing nursing homes?
I'll never know.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.