Best known as the bass player of Booker T. and the MG's, Donald "Duck" Dunn was one of the guys behind the groove in most Stax/Volt recordings. The Stax sound was known for its heavy bottom end, and Dunn, along with the rest of the MG's (the Stax house band at the time), was responsible for it. After the Stax label gave up the ghost, Dunn went on to a successful career as a producer and session player.

Donald "Duck" Dunn can be also seen (and heard) in the 1980 Universal Pictures movie The Blues Brothers. In addition, he played with the Blues Brothers on their album Briefcase Full of Blues.

As an electric bass player, I'd like to add that Donald "Duck" Dunn is a bonafide Electric Bass God and one of the absolute masters of "feel over chops." Also, for what it's worth, he's white.

The eloquence and power of Dunn's basslines make my case, especially the ballads: listen to his work on Otis Redding's "Try A Little Tenderness" and Sam & Dave's "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" and you'll hear just how great a bassist can be. But if you want Dunn's pure soul power riffs, try the basslines on Sam & Dave's "Soul Man" or Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music" and turn that bass UP.

My advice to would-be electric bassists: check out the Duck before you try to emulate Victor Wooten. It's easy to slave away at the fretboard and impress your friends with some fast-finger feats, but emulating Dunn's feel is surprisingly challenging--just try and you'll see!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.