Some called what happened a mirage, stripped of its sparkle by scientists. I hate stereotypes, generalizations. Bad haircuts and black-rimmed glasses, long thin fingers as if born to play piano but the world was more scintillating. Such young dreams snuffed out in research laboratories, in red tape and hospitals, while untold and unknown species lived and died and the climate continued on its inevitable orbit. Don't worry, a small number were saved, in zoos and formaldehyde.


Some called what happened a miracle, thanking whatever deity they worshipped or carried around their necks. Please stop telling me certain events are an answer to prayer or God moves in mysterious ways. I am not addressing any of you. But don't knock it until you've tried it, there, now I'm talking to you. People live and die, the ways of the planet rinse and repeat, like shampoo. Don't waste water. I'm serious, don't waste water.


Even if you have all that you need, share with others or give some of what is needed away. Safe water, non-perishables, love, silence, encouragement.

Experience loss. Feel helpless.

Then gather some fallen branches and build a fire. Eat Spaghettios from the can and toast marshmallows. Make others laugh.

Listen to music until one song reaches that deep sadness and let your tears roll down, until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream. (Again, don't mock it until you've really tried it.)

Find someone, anyone, whose sadness is still hidden beneath the layers of masks or costumes and be in their moment, for we all have broken dreams and lost hopes.


No, no, we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream. Be grateful, for when all is taken away, it is truly other people in our lives who matter most. I too had a dream.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.