Dolby Digital is a proprietory digital audio compression technique that is used throughout moviemaking, patented by Dolby Laboratories. Almost all films released today utilise its technology. The digital audio is held between the sprocket holes in the film, one of the places where damage and wear and tear is least likely to occur. Also, if the digital print is slightly damaged, simple stereo analog tracks are also held on the print, so that the sound does not skip. It loses quality, but that's a lot better than hearing silence.

Dolby Digital has become the main source of DVD audio soundtracks, due to its high compression and quality, allowing the MPEG2 video on the DVD to be of the highest bitrate and quality too, preserving the theatrical experience. Another advantage of Dolby Digital is its variety of sound polymorphism in that it can be encoded from mono, stereo, Dolby Surround all the way up to 5.1 channel sound. If the user does not have a 5.1 system and the software/player is playing a 5.1 track, the sound is downmixed to a format that the user can play. (Usually two track, matrixed surround)

Also known as AC-3 to many laserdisc fans.

Competitor digital audio formats include DTS Digital Surround, and Sony's SDDS surround format, offering higher bitrate audio.

The first time I heard Dolby Digital 5.1 I was underwhelmed. The problem I had with it was that it was too discrete due to its digital channel seperation. I was very used to Dolby Surround's non-discrete seperation where center sounds would spill over slightly to the left and right channels. This was at a time where even the most inexpensive of Dolby Digital recievers were $500+. After sitting in the store for a bit longer, I realized that discrete seperation is the Right Way to do things, and that you don't want to be surrounded by dialog from every channel. Now Dolby Digital recievers are as cheap as $200, which makes deciding a non-issue for most consumers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.