It seems that most of society has an easier time handling female homosexuality than male homosexuality. Perhaps this is a charade that I cannot see through because I am not a homosexual female...

But lesbians are not often accused of being child molesters, while gay men often are so accused. Then again, women are not often accused of being child molesters, but men often are thusly accused..

Perhaps both groups receive the same amount of hostility, it just manifests in different ways. Hostility towards gay men being more violent in nature and therefore more visible. Hostility towards gay women being more emotional in nature and therefore less visible, but ultimately just as destructive.

I’m a heterosexual male. Well for the moment. I used to be homophobic because of religious beliefs. Gradually I became more accepting because of my wife. Who was bi-curious and is now officially bi-sexual. Taking this a step further I had to accept male homosexuality as well. Now to a degree have gone as far as to say that I am also now curious.

But that’s just me and I’ve observed a few things about acceptance of sexuality

  • Bi-Sexual women are seem to be generally accepted. (Outside of religious circles)
  • Lesbian women are not as accepted as bi-sexual women because many men find them threatening although are a turn on to men (secretly hoping to be responsible for the conversion to bi-sexual)
  • Gay men are a bit more accepted today than in the past. The Hollywood glamorization through films such as The Birdcage and others gay men have become more acceptable in modern society. This is not to say that everything is easy for them. It’s been very tough.
  • Talking with several people a general distaste of bi-sexual men is apparent. A comment made by a friend of mine who is a bi-sexual female seemed to be rather harsh. She stated that there are no bi-sexual men because there is no way anybody could suck another guy without being gay. This seemed to be a sentiment shared by many I’ve run into.
Not saying that one non-heterosexual slant has all sunshine and lollipops. I don’t promote my or my wife’s sexuality at work or in general public because of the risks to our sanity. The acceptance of a non-heterosexual male is a bit farther off in general society than others.
One area where it is harder for lesbians than for gay men is how seriously their bond of love is taken. Many men I know say “Lesbians are great!” By this they mean that lesbians seem harmless and even sexy. After all what could be greater than two girls at once?

Gay men have the whole history of Greek platonic love to draw upon, they may be perceived as being bound together by a special love that women cannot understand. Thus lesbians become the butt of many sexist jokes not to mention porn flicks for men that are made with the unspoken understanding that if they could just find a man all of their cute lesbian silliness would vanish. I’ve never heard anyone suggest that what a gay man needed to “straighten him out” was “some good pussy” but I do hear the opposite comment made about lesbians all the time. It’s sad really.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.