Discord (not to be confused with the literary term "discord") is an online instant messaging software, similar to Skype or TeamSpeak. Discord allows users to communicate through text messaging or voice and video calls, either in private messages or in chat rooms called "servers."

Discord was founded by Jason Citron in 2015, and was originally marketed towards gamers, as a means of communicating with others during gameplay. However, it would gradually rebrand itself as a communication platform for everyone.

Discord itself is free, however users can pay Discord every month to receive special features known as "Discord Nitro."

Discord is written in JavaScript, React, Elixir, and Rust. It is used by around 350 million people.

Discord's user-base is often stereotyped as gamers, weaboos, or furries (or all three). While there is likely at least one of these individuals in every public server, these are gross generalizations and do not reflect Discord's user-base as a whole.

Dis"cord` (?), n. [OE. discord, descord, OF. discorde, descorde, F. discorde, from L. discordia, fr. discors, -cordis, discordant, disagreeable; dis- + cor, cordis, heart; cf. F. discord, n., and OF. descorder, discorder, F. discorder, to discord, L. discordare, from discors. See Heart, and cf. Discord, v. i.]

1.

Want of concord or agreement; absence of unity or harmony in sentiment or action; variance leading to contention and strife; disagreement; -- applied to persons or to things, and to thoughts, feelings, or purposes.

A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren. Prov. vi. 19.

Peace to arise out of universal discord fomented in all parts of the empire. Burke.

2. Mus.

Union of musical sounds which strikes the ear harshly or disagreeably, owing to the incommensurability of the vibrations which they produce; want of musical concord or harmony; a chord demanding resolution into a concord.

For a discord itself is but a harshness of divers sounds ming. Bacon.

Apple of discord. See under Apple.

Syn. -- Variance; difference; opposition; contrariety; clashing; dissension; contention; strife; disagreement; dissonance.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*cord" (?), v. i. [OE. discorden, descorden, from the French. See Discord, n.]

To disagree; to be discordant; to jar; to clash; not to suit.

[Obs.]

The one discording with the other. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.