Dick Hallorann is a major character in Stephen King's novel, The Shining. He is a single black man who is in his sixties. In the summer-season he is the cook at the Overlook Hotel.

Dick Hallorann meets the Torrance family in the autumn, on the closing day of the hotel for the winter months. He feels an instant empathy with the Jack and Wendy's son Danny. Danny and Dick both have a special gift which Dick calls "The Shining." Dick's "shining" is not nearly as strong as the young boy's. They both, to some extent, have the ability to read people's thoughts, send thoughts to others, see visions of both past and of future events. Dick informs Danny about the hotel's gruesome past. The hotel has a long history of murders and suicides, and is haunted by many of the deceased. Dick warns Danny that for someone of their abilities The Overlook can be a very dangerous place. He tells Danny to call him psychically if he ever needs help.

When Jack Torrance has a complete psychotic break Danny sends Mr. Hallorann an urgent telepathic message. This message gets through loud and clear, so loud and clear in fact that Dick Halloran literally shits his pants when he receives it. The kindly, but foul mouthed, Mr. Hallorann immediately returns from his vacation in Florida to the snow surrounded Overlook Hotel in order to rescue both Danny and his mother Wendy. When he arrives he is attacked by the animal shaped hedges that have come to life. He is also attacked by Jack.

Dick Hallorann also makes cameo appearances in other Stephen King books, including "It" (published in 1986), as a character who survived the "Black Spot" fire.

Like many other King characters and locales, Hallorann transcends the need to be limited to only one book. In Stephen King's universe, he is like Shawshank prison, existing across many different stories as a simply understood and accepted fact of reality. Dick Hallorann exists, Shawshank exists, and the title on the front of the book makes no difference.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.