A somatoform disorder prevalent in India, also known as Jiryan in the Northern regions of the country. This disorder is characterized by a marked and consistent fear that the passage of semen (Dhat) in the urine is causing some form of illness. Individuals may present with several related symptoms including, but not limited to, headaches, pains, insomnia, loss of appetite, psychogenic impotence, or loss of libido. This disorder seems to be comorbid with anxiety, and treatment may necessitate the prescription of antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication.

This disorder is tied to the cultural belief in India that semen is precious, and that the expenditure thereof causes a man to be weakened. Men with this disorder tend to be of average socioeconomic status, who live in rural areas. Heavy feelings of guilt are associated with this disorder, the individual believing that his symptoms are due to excess masturbation, nocturnal emissions, or sexual intercourse.

Most often the symptoms diminish when the individual is given correct information on the physiological workings of the endocrine system, and reassured that the situation is not making him ill.


Barlow, D. H. and Durand, V. M. Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach; Fourth Edition. Thomson - Wadsworth, 2005. Pg. 171
http://www.laramededucation.com/sexo_ds.html
http://www.ijponline.org/oct2001/indIJPCaseRep3.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.