Baureihe (Class) 361 is 360's 54-tonne sister and thus the original heavy version of the V60 series of diesel shunters. Except for the greater weight, which makes for better traction, it is exactly the same as the light 360.
For some reason, it went out of service earlier than the 360, with the last locos being phased out before January 1st, 2002. Presumably, as with the 360, many 361s were bought by Deutsche Bahn's competition.
Technical fact sheet:
- Concept: C layout (three coupled axles in a rigid frame, lateral motion device on middle axle); the single diesel engine drives a crankshaft through an articulated shaft, a fluid transmission and a two-speed mechanical gearbox; the crankshaft in turn drives the side rods coupling the wheels
- Power: 478 kW
- Traction: 178 kN maximum in high-traction gear, 135 kN maximum in high-speed gear
- Top speed: 60 km/h in high-speed gear, 30 km/h in high-traction gear
- Total weight: 54 tonnes (18 tonnes per axle)
- Length: 10.45 m
- Total wheel base: 4.4 m
- Height: 4.25 m
- Width: 3.1 m
- Diameter of driven wheels: 1.25 m
- Tank volume: 1.3 m3 (some models 1.7 m3