A relatively new basketball team that was originally an ABA team. They joined the NBA for the 1976-77 season. They are known for being one of the NBA's blunders along with the Los Angeles Clippers. However, they have had some big name players that have lived up to near hall of fame status: Dikembe Mutombo, David Thompson, Alex English, and Antonio McDyess. The greatest moment in Nuggets history, most would agree, would have to be when the 8th seeded Nuggets took down the 1st seeded Seattle Sonics 3 games to 2 in the first round of the 1994 NBA Playoffs. The game ended in dramatic fashion as Mutombo blocked superstar Shawn Kemp's shot on Seattle's final chance to win the game. It marked the first time an 8th seeded team took down a 1st seed in a playoff series. Ever since then the Nuggets have sucked. They struck rock bottom during the 1997-98 season when they went 11-71, their worst record ever. They have gradually gotten better since then fortunately enough.

The Denver Nuggets were embroiled in controversy during a portion of former player/head coach/GM Dan Issel's reign as head coach. It seems that "The Horse" (as he was known during his days as a player) had just about had all he could take one night, what with the Nuggets sucking it up as badly as they have of late. Irate, and possibly fatigued, he shouted several unintelligent-sounding racial epithets at a Hispanic fan, who had shouted several unintelligent-sounding suggestions to Coach Issel earlier in the game.

Suffice to say, Denver lacks sufficient ways to spend its free time, and this story was all over the newspapers for the better part of a week. Following all the hubub, ruckus, and general opinion-sounding of various representatives from all over the state (including people that had little or nothing to do with the incident), Dan tearfully and dramatically stepped down from his two positions in a carefully choreographed media event, ending his career with the Denver Nuggets on one of the worst possible notes he could have.

(updated as of 7/28/04)

On a much better note, the 2003-2004 basketball season saw an impressively dramatic turnaround in the performance of the beloved Denver Nuggets. Led by Carmelo Anthony, widely considered to be among the top college athletes of his generation, the Nuggets were, wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, actually fun to watch for the first time in years. Actually compiling a record that was good enough to get them into the playoffs (first time in about 9 years), they lost 4 games to 1 to the Minnesota Timberwolves, another team that had historically been rather crummy, but has begun to turn it around in recent years.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.