Dementation is also the name of the unique discipline of the Malkavian clan of vampires in Vampire: The Masquerade. It allows the user to affect the emotional instabilities and sanity of those around her. Lower levels intensify emotions and cause minor hallucinations; higher levels can cause the Malkavian's victim to go completely mad for a finite length of time, possibly as long as a year. One of middle levels of the discipline, though, is responsible for the reputation Malkavians have of being seers: Eyes of Chaos allows the user to look at the world around her and divine future events from signs and omens hidden from others.

It is important to note that the Malkavians who joined the Camarilla lost the use of Dementation for more than 500 years, for reasons unknown. Dominate replaced Dementation as one of the clan's primary disciplines. Sabbat and independant Malkavians retained the use of Dementation. This condition lasted until 1997, when a wave of renewed madness spread throughout the Malkavian clan and they began to use Dementation again.

De`men*ta"tion (?), n.

The act of depriving of reason; madness.

Whitlock.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.