A little-known cartoon that aired in Canada on Teletoon, which is based on the comic book by Douglas Gayeton. It is produced with an interesting process, because the animation is made completely by digitally capturing real actors' movements. The motions are then applied to 2-dimensional animated characters on the show, which accounts for their unbelievably lifelike gestures and expressions. Delta State is the first television series to ever use digital rotoscopy.

The series centers around four main characters, who are all roommates, possess supernatural powers, and have no recollection of their entire lives. Philip is frequently used as comic relief, but can bring order to an arguement if necessary. Martin is the moderating, self-appointed leader, and is currently dating Claire. Martin's girlfriend is an energetic nightclub DJ. The last is Luna, a considerate girl who is very curious about her life.

The main story is actually much more than just these four young adults. They can combine powers to travel to the Delta State, a parallel dimension to ours that shifts and changes like a dreamworld. By holding a sort of seance, their bodies become lifeless and their consciousness travels to the Delta State, living their physical selves vulnerable. A mysterious man named Brodie seems to know a lot more about them than they do, and convinces them to use their powers to protect the world from a mind-enslaving race called the Rifters. This sci-fi/fantasy show won't appeal to everyone, but it is fun to watch such a different style of animation.

The show only ran for a single season in 2004. It was pretty evident at the outset that it wouldn't catch on with the general audience. Teletoon occasionally shows the season which works pretty well by itself, but it would have been ideal if the show was allowed to wrap up properly. Many anime series run for less than 30 episodes intentionally, but this is rare for Western television. If Delta State had run in Japan, things may have been a little different (well, a lot different, but perhaps it's best not to think about that too much).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.