This Date In History

1110

Crusaders conquer the Lebanese port town of Sidon.
1131
Famed Arabic poet Omar Khayyam dies.
1134
Pope John XXII dies.
1443
Pope Julius II is born.
1642
The notorious French emissary Cardinal Richelieu dies.
1674
A small missionary is founded on Lake Michigan by French Catholic Jacques Marquette. It takes another 100 years before the city is officially incorporated as Chicago, Illinois.
1679
Noted English political theorist Thomas Hobbes, whose book Leviathan became a central starting point for the modern democracy, dies at the age of 81.
1783
At Fraunces Tavern in lower Manhattan, George Washington delivers his famous tearjerker farewell to his soldiers and staff.
1795
Thomas Carlyle, eminent Victorian historian, is born. His extensions of John Stuart Mill's and Ralph Waldo Emerson's work gave rise to both Socialism and Fascism, particulary in post-World War I Germany.
1798
Italian physcist Luigi Galvani, whose work with electricity gave us the word "galvanize", dies.
1835
English author and translator Samuel Butler is born. He is perhaps most famous for his theory that the Odyssey was written by a young woman, though he also edited several collections of Shakespeare's works and wrote the novel The Way Of All Flesh, a scathing look at Victorian hypocrisy.
1849
Native American rebel Crazy Horse, who led the charge against Custer at Little Big Horn, is born.
1866
Respected Russian painter Wassily Kandinsky, known for his minimalism and vivid use of color, is born.
1867
Disgruntled farmer Oliver Hudson Kelley forms the farmers' union known as The Grange.
1868
Hall of Fame baseball player Jesse Burkett is born.
1872
The Mary Celeste is found 9 days after it was reported missing. The fact that no crew member was ever found again sparked a mystery that thrives to this day.
1875
Tammany Hall politician and recent convict Boss Tweed escapes from prison; he would later resurface in Cuba.
Nobel Prize-winning author Rainer Maria Rilke is born.
1892
The Spanish dictator Generalissimo Francisco Franco (who is still dead) is born.
1908
Nobel Prize-winning psychologist Alfred Hershey, who helped lead the studies of viruses and their genetic structures, is born.
1921
Noted comedian Fatty Arbuckle is acquitted of manslaughter when the jury hangs for a fifth consecutive day.
Famed actress and singer Deanna Durbin is born.
1930
1953's American League Rookie of the Year Harvey Kuenn is born.
1937
Actor Max Baer, Jr., most famous for his role as Jethro on the television series "The Beverly Hillbillies", is born.
1940
Velvet Underground violinist and guitarist John Cale is born.
1943
After finally achieving some success economically and domestically, President Franklin D. Roosevelt officially closes the WPA, bringing an end to the last of the major New Deal work programs.
1944
Dennis Wilson, who along with brothers Brian and Carl helped found The Beach Boys, is born.
1945
The United States officially joins the United Nations, by a vote of 65 to 7.
1949
Actor Jeff Bridges (Tron, The Big Lebowski) is born.
1950
Lee Smith, baseball's all-time leader in saves, is born.
1964
Oscar-winning Actress Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinnie, Oscar) is born.
1967
Actor Bert Lahr, most famous for his role as The Cowardly Lion in the MGM musical blockbuster The Wizard of Oz, dies.
1969
Rapper Jay-Z (nee Shawn Carter) is born.
1973
Model and television host Tyra Banks is born.
1976
Benjamin Britten, composer who converted such notable works as Billy Budd, The Turn of the Screw, and Thomas Mann's Death in Venice into operas, dies.
1977
A Malaysia Airlines 737 is hijacked and explodes mid-air over the Straits of Jahore. Over 100 people die.
1980
Led Zeppelin officially calls it quits, marking the end of one of the greatest bands in rock history.
1988
Actor Gary Busey suffers major injuries in a motorcycle crash. He would be convicted later of driving under the influence and served one years' probation.
1991
Kidnapped American journalist Terry Anderson is finally released after seven years' captivity in Beirut, the longest American captive in Middle Eastern history.
Pan American Airlines declares bankruptcy and shuts its doors for good.
1993
Space rocker and musical critic Frank Zappa dies. He was 52.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.