A movie from 1982, based on a broadway play by Ira Levin and starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. Both actors do an extremely convincing job of portraying their characters in this movie, especially Reeve's acting is intense.

To describe the plot would probably give away too much, as this movie relies on it's plot twists and unexpected turns, but a short introduction must be in order. Sidney (Caine) is a playwright whose latest plays not only tanked, but stank. Returning from his latest premiere, already being ripped apart by critics, he reads a manuscript sent to him by one of the students from his art class.

The script is gold, absolutely perfect, and could mean a new start for his career. So he invites Clifford (Reeve) over to discuss the script. But that is not all he planned. Other memorable characters include Helga TenDorp, a dutch psychic, Sidneys lawyer, Porter Milgram and Sidney's wife, Myra, who fears the worst... But all is not as it seems. As someone on IMDb so aptly put it: This is not a whodunnit, but a who'll do it first to whom!.

Buy it, rent it, watch it on television, but see it. It is not as good as a similar movie also starring Caine, Sleuth, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.

Sidney - "A thriller in two acts, one set. Five characters. A juicy murder in Act One, unexpected developments in Act Two. Sound construction, good dialogue, laughs in the right places. Highly commercial."

Deathtrap - Feb. 26, 1978, by Ira Levin

Sidney Bruhl is a famous playwright who is known for his thrillers. The play starts with him suffering writer's block after a series of flops at Broadway. His supporting wife, Myra, tries to help him out of this depression, but an aspiring playwright, Clifford Anderson, sends a play, Deathtrap, to Sidney that is ... well, almost perfect. "A gifted director couldn't even hurt it."

Sidney along with his wife, who suffers from a weak heart, cook up a plot to invite young Clifford to visit them, murder him, and steal his play. Nosey psychic investigator Helga TenDorp moves in next door, however, and immediately picks up trouble. The story zigs and zags, hilarity ensues.

Deathtrap constantly refers to itself through Clifford's play, and it also talks about other plays, playwriting, and is just a huge in-joke from beginning to end. But it's so well written that everything works. There are only five characters, all the action takes place on one set, it's a very cheap play to produce. This play is a thriller, it practically defines the genre.

Deathtrap was also made into a movie in 1982, directed by Sidney Lumet, and starring Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve. The movie version is pretty faithful to the play, but loses a little of the energy due to different expectations from a movie. However the performances by the leads are wonderful, and it's well worth seeing.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.