(yet another case of I Can't Believe its Not a Node!)

Claymation TV show produced on and off from 1960 to 1976 about a boy (Davey) and his large talking dog Goliath as they went through life learning powerful, Lutheran-oriented life lessons. Davey and Goliath was produced for the Lutheran Church of America to help spread their message and also provide general moral guidance to a world that needs it. It was made by Art Clokey of Gumby fame--something with any Gumby aficionado would recognize nearly instantly.

Davey had a younger sister Sally who often was a factor in the morality plays. Mom and Dad were the typical TV parents of the era a la Ward and June Cleaver. Davey's best friend (well, human best friend) was a black boy named Jonathon Reed--in 1960, this was a radical thing to do, but it was never played up in the storylines.

I remember watching Davey and Goliath as a kid on Sunday mornings, and remembering that at times it actually was rather dark and a little scary. This wasn't watered down, mamby-pamby Christian morality, nosiree, this was serious stuff. And yes, the talking dog added a surreal element, that likely now would be seen as demonic (As Maude Flanders would say about Ned: "Well, he used to watch Davey & Goliath, but he thought the idea of a talking dog was blasphemous...") Of course, Goliath only talked to Davey--everyone else just heard growls and barks.

Goliath used to say "But Daveeey!" a lot, in a slow, deep voice. This was the clue that Davey was contemplating doing something of questionable moral judgement. You see, Davey was a good kid, but even good kids make bad decisions sometimes. And that was the crux of all the stories, with Goliath acting as a sort of guardian angel/conscience character.

You can get them on video or DVD.

Lots more info at http://www.awn.com/heaven_and_hell/DG/DG1.htm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.