To mark playing cards with paint, ink, wax, etc. The player who marked the cards (the dauber) is then able to see the ranks and suits of the cards held by his opponents, usually only from a certain angle.

Also called cosmetics, shading and, when it is appropriate, white on white.

Daub (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Daubed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Daubing.] [OE. dauben to smear, OF. dauber to plaster, fr. L. dealbare to whitewash, plaster; de- + albare to whiten, fr. albus white, perh. also confused with W. dwb plaster, dwbio to plaster, Ir. & OGael. dob plaster. See Alb, and cf. Dealbate.]

1.

To smear with soft, adhesive matter, as pitch, slime, mud, etc.; to plaster; to bedaub; to besmear.

She took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch. Ex. ii. 3.

2.

To paint in a coarse or unskillful manner.

If a picture is daubed with many bright and glaring colors, the vulgar admire it is an excellent piece. I. Watts.

A lame, imperfect piece, rudely daubed over. Dryden.

3.

To cover with a specious or deceitful exterior; to disguise; to conceal.

So smooth he daubed his vice with show of virtue. Shak.

4.

To flatter excessively or glossy.

[R.]

I can safely say, however, that, without any daubing at all, I am very sincerely your very affectionate, humble servant. Smollett.

5.

To put on without taste; to deck gaudily.

[R.]

Let him be daubed with lace. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Daub (?), v. i.

To smear; to play the flatterer.

His conscience . . . will not daub nor flatter. South.

 

© Webster 1913.


Daub, n.

1.

A viscous, sticky application; a spot smeared or dabed; a smear.

2. Paint.

A picture coarsely executed.

Did you . . . take a look at the grand picture? . . . 'T is a melancholy daub, my lord. Sterne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.