Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson was born in Gothenburg, Sweden, on December 11, 1972. He wears jersey number 11. The 5'11" 200 pound RW went 133rd overall in the sixth round of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft to the Senators. Despite his late draft selection, Alfie made hockey history by winning the NHL's Rookie of the Year Award after leading his team in 1995-96 with 26 goals and 35 assists. Alfredsson was also an All-Rookie Team forward and won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the league's top rookie.

In his sophomore season Alfredsson led the Senators to the playoffs for the first time in club history since the franchise made its return to Ottawa. Alfie had 24 goals in 1996-7, and led the team in both assists (47) and power play goals (11). He also made his second consecutive All-Star appearance.

The following season Alfie was limited to only 55 regular season games, but still managed to lead the team in game-winning goals, scoring 7 of them. He played in his third straight All-Star game, and led the Sens in the playoffs with 7 goals in 11 games.

In 1998-9 Alfredsson led the Sens to their first Northeast Division title with a club record of 45 wins and 103 points. The following year, Alfredsson was named team captain with his team-high 38 assists. Although limited to only 57 games, Afredsson still managed to score 50 points.

The Senators captured their second Northeast Division title in 2000-2001 with a record of 48 wins and 109 points, greatly aided by Alfredsson's leadership and contributions of 24 goals and 70 points. This past season saw some of Alfie's best numbers yet, with 37 goals and 34 assists in 78 games. Last season, Alfredsson made $3 million dollars. In 2002-2003 his salary will increase to $4.55 million.

Before entering the NHL, Alfredsson played for two Swedish hockey clubs, Molndal (1990-2) and V. Frolunda (1992-5). With Molndal, Alfredsson scored 12 goals and had 8 assists in 35 games, while scoring 28 goals and notching 26 assists in 82 games with V. Frolunda. Alfredsson has also played on the Swedish national hockey team in both the 1998 and 2002 Olympic Games, scoring 3 goals and 7 assists in a combined total of 8 games.



sources:
http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLAYERS/player_bio1.asp?ID=49
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1/1339/
http://hockeyplus.canoe.ca/complete/0441.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.