A system of trains and railways connecting almost any part of the Washington, DC metropolitan area to another. Very useful for broke college students such as myself who have no car. Respectable as metro systems go, but not as much character to it as the London Underground.

Having proclaimed itself "America's Subway," the DC Metro probably is one of the more attractive and efficient public transit systems in the U.S. It currently has five color-coded rail lines and several dozen bus routes, and provides mediocre service for those with physical disabilities. It is generally clean and on-time, but can be expensive depending on your destination because it charges more for longer trips. The Metro is run by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority and monitored by the Metro Transit Police.

I am also working on the Washington DC Metro Project, which has more information about the system.

The Washington subway system is clean, pleasant, and has a unique character. It isn't as busy as New York City or Montreal's subway, nor as extensive. The stations look newer than the NYC ones, but the trains look older, but in better condition. The signs are mildly confusing, but there are electric displays of time until the next train, as in Madrid. The stations smell clean, unlike the Paris and New York subways. The surveillance is also better; the multiday passes can't easily be shared by many people.

The D.C. subway is friend of tourist, vistor, and native alike. Although less popular than the New York subways, a fair number of residents use them. Tourists can travel from the Smithsonian Museums and the Mall to the Pentagon and other sights. Vistors can park in Silver Spring, MD, and take the subway in to avoid parking trouble. The D.C. subways are safe and pleasant, and run until 2:09 a.m. many nights.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.