In the spirit of Cussing in German, here come Cursing in French French (as opposed to Canadian French), and let me start by saying that only dipshits would spell it cussing.

Randomly:

con: cunt, used for virtually anything. "C'est con": it's too bad. "T'es con": you're stupid. "T'es vraiment trop con": you're really fucking stupid.

foutre: fuck, although not used as in "let's fuck", unless you're reading Sade. "Va te faire foutre": go fuck yourself. "Rien à foutre": I don't give a fuck.

pédé: gay, fag.

enculé: someone who likes to take it up the ass. Very common (the expression, I mean)

merde: shit. As mentioned in Cussing in German, nobody give a flying rotating shit about people cursing in France, at least not as much as in that fucking retarded country called USA, so that's something (merde) you can use liberally here.

putain, pute: whore. Very common. "Putain, ça fait chier!": fuck, that sucks.

chier: to shit.

ça fait chier: it sucks.

pouffiasse, pétasse: bimbo.

cul: ass. "J'en ai plein le cul": I'm fed up with that shit.

baiser: to fuck. "On s'est fait baiser!": we're fucked.

niquer: to fuck (from forniquer). "Je suis niqué!": I'm fucked.

suce ma bite: suck my dick.

salope: slut.

If you must swear in Quebec you should know that instead of swearing by sex and excrement, the quebecois swear by religion.

The most famous of such jurons¹ is Tabernac! (tabernacle or church) followed by Crisse! (Christ!), Câlice! (communion chalice) and d'hostie or variants (of the host). Alternate spellings (tabernak) are common as the tradition is largely verbal.

Finally, keep Désolé! (sorry!) in your back pocket in case you overstep yourself!

1. swear words
Another important vulgar word in French is the verb "peter", to fart. The verb is somewhat irregular as it has an accent grave in the je/tu/il/elles forms, but not the nous/vous forms. Incidentially, the verb répeter (to repeat) has an accent aigu. Well most high school French students wouldn't know the difference between répeter with or without the accent, any Frenchman could tell it apart easily.

Hence, this becomes a problem for foreigners when they happen to miss some bit of rapidly spoken French, and carelessly say "Repetez, s'il vous plâit?", disregarding the accent.

While they obviously meant to say "Repeat that, please?", they will surely be snickered at by the natives, because in actuality they have said "Fart again, please?"

Moral of the story? If you ever go to France, pay attention so you don't have to ask for repeats, or be sure to say "ray-peh-tay" instead of "reh-peh-tay", and avoid requesting flatulence.

"Je m'en fou," literally, "I fuck myself over it", is used to express "I don't care," or "I don't give a flying fuck." Despite its apparent offensiveness to English-speakers, it is a very mild phrase that could be found in polite conversation.

Also worth noting is the semantic difference between "Va te faire foutre," and "Va te faire enculer." "Va te faire foutre" means "Go fuck yourself (up the vagina)," while "Va te faire enculer" means "Go fuck yourself (up the anus)." Of course, both of these are anatomically impossible.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.