Crossroads of Twilight is the tenth book in Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series. It was released January 6, 2003 in the US, and in late December 2002 in England (due to a mistake upon which Mr. Jordan casts doubt).

Below is a summary of all the major plot developments in the book. So if you have not read the book and still plan to do so, please read no further.

The book picks up where Winter's Heart left off, explaining how all the other major characters in RandLand interpreted the event at the end of WH. So far, none of them know precisely what happened, but Egwene's Salidar Aes Sedai as well as the Black Ajah's Alviarin knows that Shaddar Logoth is no more. Speculation about what caused the channeling of such tremendous amounts of Saidar and Saidin mostly involves the Foresaken.

This prompts the Salidar Aes Sedai to decide on allying itself with the Black Tower to expand their circles beyond thirteen. Coincidentally, there is a push amongst the Red Ajah in the White Tower to unify with the Black Tower by taking Asha'man as Warders. As we already know there are two other indirect efforts at uniting the Black and White Towers. Cadsuane's neutral Aes Sedai have taken Asha'man Warders, and Logain's Asha'man have Bonded Aes Sedai. In this book there is the possibility that Logain's and Cadsuane's two groups will begin to merge, but only just.

The siege on Tar Valon continues with little change, except that in the final pages of the book Egwene carries out a plot to fuse the chains blocking the North and South Harbors into Cuendillar. This done, the chains can no longer be lowered to let boats in, effectively closing down the last source of supplies for Tar Valon. Unfortunately as this plan comes to fruition Egwene (and possibly Leane) is captured by an unknown Aes Sedai in North Harbor. So at the end of the book we know that the split in the White Tower will shortly be resolved one way or another. We also know that the split in the Black Tower may mean that there will soon be a split between the One Power wielding Dark Friends and those that serve the light. This taken together means there is a major plot thread that is bringing all the mini plot threads of the Black and White Towers together.

The other major plot development, meta thread if you will, is that the Ta'veren are all moving towards some kind of merge with the Seanchan. Rand Al'Thor decides momentously to send Davram Bashere, Logain Ablar, and Loial to parley with High Lady Suroth for a treaty between Rand and the Seanchan Corenne. Meanwhile Mat Cauthon is well on his way, courting Tuon, Daughter of the Nine Moons, heir to the Seanchan Crystal Throne. All she needs to do now is tell someone Mat is her husband three times and that is it, they are married according to Seanchan custom. And having found the Shaido Aiel, outnumbered by a number of orders of magnitude, Perrin contemplates joining forces with a large Seanchan army, found by Tallanvor, that is already gunning for the Shaido.

Other major events in this book include:

  1. Elayne's pregnancy interferes with her ability to channel. The throne is still not secured, some progress is being made.
  2. Alviarin is deposed as Keeper, but not punished because Elaida doesn't know yet whether she is Black Ajah for sure. Alviarin sees Shaidar Haran strip and wisk Mesaana away to Shayol Ghul. Before she(Alviarin) flees his presence, he commands her to find out who is hunting the Black Ajah.
  3. Halima kills a couple of Aes Sedai in the Salidar camp. The sisters know that Saidin was used but don't know who used it.
  4. Rand sits around looking pretty and does nothing, other than get sick whenever he siezes saidin.

I just finished reading Robert Jordan's most recent book, "Crossroads of Twilight". Don't worry if you haven't read it yet because NOTHING HAPPENS. It's amazing. I kept reading, waiting for the meat, waiting for something to change and nothing does. It ends with all the characters in the same place as they were at the beginning. The book is heavy with Perrin and Mat story (which I enjoy since the last book with all about the women) but they don't do anything, not a god damn thing!! There is maybe 3 chapters with Rand and about 3 with Elayne, and 3 with Egwene, which makes up about half the book. The rest of it is pretty equally divided between Mat and Perrin.

If you do a google search for "Robert Jordan" I think you can get the gist of it. I searched for the title of the book and couldn't find an up to date site for the first 3 pages of links!!!

Usually Jordan does a pretty good job at the end of his books of making you want to come back for more. Something normally happens that brings me back but this one was flat all the way through, not battles, no plot twists, just men being pussies and women being bitches. At least Rand has stopped bitching so much about being the dragon reborn, now he's just a dick.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.