The Crofton Hall was a four-masted barque built in 1883 by W. H. Potter & Co., in Liverpool. In 1889, under the command of Captain T.H. Lyons, it travelled from Penarth to Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and back to Le Havre.
In September 1891, it sailed from New York to Calcutta with a cargo of kerosene. On June 3, 1892, it left for Hull with a cargo of linseed, but had to return to Calcutta after six crew members died of food poisoning.
The ship ran aground on Sable Island in April 1898, on a voyage from Dundee to New York. No lives were lost.