The Cro-Magnon, interestingly, had a larger cranial cavity than Homo-Sapiens by about 50 cc. Regardless, there is no evidence to suggest that they were more intelligent than Homo-Sapien, who eventually won the evolutionary battle.

The Cro-Magnons were fully modern humans, Homo sapiens sapiens, like most of the noders here. Any peculiarities of their fossil remains are due to their race, not their age; as we would expect the skulls of modern Nordic, Alpine, or Mediterranean people to be different.

They wore clothes and jewellery and made fine implements from bone and ivory. They made the great cave paintings of Lascaux, Altamira, and Vallon-Pont-d'Arc.

Their culture is called the Aurignacian, and the term Cro-Magnon is sometimes extended to all humans of that Upper Palaeolithic period, from 35 000 BP to the end of the last Ice Age a little over 10 000 years ago. At this time there was probably a renewed movement of other humans from where they had been flourishing in the warmer Near East. Agriculture spread westward across Europe. It may be that the Basques are descendants of the Cro-Magnons; their language and their genes are markedly different from most of the rest of Europe.

Remains were first found in the cave of Cro-Magnon, near Les Eyzies in the Dordogne region of south-western France, in 1868, and the same population was subsequently found across western and central Europe.

It has been said that if a Cro-Magnon entered your train carriage you would change carriages, but if a Neanderthal entered you would change trains.

There is an uninteresting picture of a woman's breast in a field of sunflowers at
http://www.naturiste-cro-magnon.com/De/conviv.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.