Cream of Mustard Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pound fresh young mustard leaves
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seed
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Clean and wash the freshly picked black mustard leaves under cold running water and drain on paper towels. Crush the mustard seeds and set aside.

In a heavy 3 to 4-quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over high heat. When it gives off a nutty odor, lower the heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour, return and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and creamy.

Remove from heat and let stand for a minute. Stir in the chicken stock, beating constantly with a wire whisk. Return to heat and stir until thick and perfectly smooth. Add the mustard leaves—saving a few for garnish—and the crushed mustard seeds. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes.

Puree the soup using a food processor. With a wire whisk, blend the egg yolks into the cream. Whisk in a cupful of the hot pureed soup a little at a time, and then reverse the operation by whisking the egg mixture into the soup. Bring soup almost to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.

Taste and season the soup with salt and pepper, add a few shredded mustard leaves and 2 tablespoons of soft butter.

Serves Six

Back to Black Mustard
Back to The Edible Wild

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.