A picture book for discussion and activity.

Since 1994, this zine aimed at graphic designers, zine editors, mail artists, and anyone interested in cool design, has featured thousands of clip art illustrations arranged by themes, e.g. "Death, Telephones, and Scissors," "Clowns and Devils," or the extremely popular "Sex and Kitchen Gadgets" arranged by editor Sean Tejaratchi. Many of the images included in the zine were originally in vintage magazines, old phone directories, antique children's books and out-of-date catalogs, and the zine comes with this disclaimer:

Many images in this issue are "owned" by lawsuit-friendly entities. Remember, folks: Crap Hound is scathing social commentary, and certainly not a collection of images with which to trample the fragile rights of huge corporations.
CRAP HOUND OFFICIALLY URGES YOU TO OBEY ALL LAWS, ALL THE TIME, AND ENCOURAGES COMPLETE SUBMISSION TO ALL FORMS OF AUTHORITY. HAVE A NICE DAY!
As social commentary, Sean notes in Crap Hound No. 6 in an essay on reciprocity, that advertising bombards our senses daily, and so he is merely documenting images that he received without anyone asking his permission.
"Why should I ask my assailant's permission to keep a rock he's just thrown at my head?"
Sean accepts contributions of illustrations, and gives credit to contributors. Try him at Crap Hound, PO Box 40373, Portland, OR 97240-0373, USA. Copies of the latest issue of his zine are $6, unless you are an ad agency or a design studio, then the price is $30.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.