This recipe is the quick version of what some Americans call baked beans, it’s made with tinned beans but if you prefer it can be made with fresh that you cook yourself. I suppose it is all about choice! The recipe itself makes around four servings and is a meal in itself, but if you wish you could serve it to more people with a jacket potato or salad to make it spread further. Below I will outline what ingredients you will needs to make the bean bake and will mention any changes that you may like to make to suit your needs.

Ingredients

  • 225 grams (or 8oz) of spicy sausages – if you wish you can just use the sausages of your choice, especially if you have a favourite type!

  • 225 grams (or 8oz) of streaky bacon.

  • 450 grams (or 1lb) of tinned or pre-cooked beans – use a selection of haricot, borlotti and red kidney beans.

  • 400 grams (or 14oz) of tinned, chopped tomatoes.

  • 2 tablespoons of sunflower or olive oil.

  • 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar.

  • 1 teaspoon of ready-prepared English mustard.

  • A pinch of salt and pepper.

    Method

    1. Peel the onion and then dice it into equal sized pieces. Then you will need to do the same with the bacon and sausage, making sure that you cut them into chunky, equal sized pieces.

    2. Tip the beans into a colander and drain them well, if they had salt and sugar added to them in the tin then give them a rinse to make sure you get rid of all the extra flavouring that may add.

    3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Once the oil is heated all the onion, bacon and sausage and cook them together until the onions are soft and look golden brown.

    4. Add the chopped tomatoes, brown sugar and mustard and then stir. You must carry on stirring the mixture until the sauce begins to bubble.

    5. Turn the heat down and let everything simmer in the pan for about half an hour, making sure to stir it every now and again to make sure the mixture does not stick!

    6. Now add the drained beans to the sauce and give everything a good stir. Cook for a few more minutes until the beans are hot and then serve.

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.