Cowboy Caviar

Always In Season!

2 Tablesoons Red Wine Vinegar
1½ Teasponns Hot Sauce
1½ Teaspoon Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, minced
Freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
1 ~15 ounce can Black Eyed Peas
1 Ripe Avocado
1~ 11 ounce can Kernal Corn
2/3 Cup thinly sliced Green Onions
2/3 Cup Cilantro, chopped
½ pound Roma Tomatoes, chopped coarsely
Salt to taste
1 bag Tortilla Chips
Shredded Cabbage

1) Mix together vingegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic and pepper. Add avacado and mix gently.
2) Drain and rinse peas and corn. Add to remaining ingredients, mix gently. Salt to taste.

Serve as an appetizer with tortilla chips or add 2 cups shredded cabbage to make a salad.

Eat your vegetables!


A family recipe and such a healthy and tasty dish I wondered who could have rounded up all the delightful ingredients and put them together with such culinary talent. An article from the PittsburghLIVE.com web site explains that the creator is Ann Pelligrino, of Monongahela, PA.

She submitted the recipe for the Home Plate contest by the Westmoreland County Community College contest and was one of the winners because of its,” its versatility, beauty and, above all, taste. "It has a lot of versatility," one culinary expert noted and added. "It says it can be prepared as a side salad with the cole slaw vegetables, or as a salsa-type dip without them. But I also used it in a wrap, and it was delicious." Suggesting that this dish can be served with broiled or grilled seafood or chicken. She also said, "It would be excellent made using fresh roasted corn-on-the-cob."

Source

PittsburghLIVE.com:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/

Ann Pelligrino, 78, comes from a long line of farmers and knows the value of good old-fashioned fresh food. Growing up near Imperial, PA on a dairy and produce farm out of four siblings she is the second oldest.” I probably started cooking when I was 10. My mother taught me. We ate mostly out of the garden. We were poor," she said. "But we had a good life." In the midst of cultural traditions of German on her maternal side and Italian on her father's, Pellegrino has developed a gamut of flavors that melds those approaches in cooking plus much more saying she's "famous for my grape leaves" a marinara sauce and something she which she labels Ribley Soup that’s made out of dumplings.

"Just give me a kitchen," Ann said to the Pittsburg Tribune reporter. "I don't like outside work, or housework; just give me a kitchen."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.