Olive oil (approx 2-3 tablespoons)
1 large onion, or 2 small onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
1 and a half lb courgettes (zucchini), sliced thinly
3 pints hot vegetable stock (use stock cubes if you need to)
freshly grated nutmeg (a healthy pinch)
2 eggs (optional)
2-4 oz freshly grated parmesan

Chop the onions finely. Slice the courgettes no thicker than about half a centimetre. Chop the parsley as finely as you can--you'll need about a double handful of chopped herbs.

Put the stock (or water and stock cubes) on to boil.

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan, and cook the onions gently for about 5 to ten minutes. Add the courgettes and garlic and cook until the onions are softening and translucent, but not browning.

Pour in the hot stock, cover and simmer, stirring from time to time. After about ten minutes, add half the parsley. Keep cooking until the courgettes are very tender (about 20-30 minutes). Add the rest of the parsley. Turn the heat off, and let the soup stand for about five more minutes.

Blend the soup, or force through a sieve, and return to the saucepan. It should be an incredible bright green. Add the nutmeg, and black pepper to taste.

If you want to thicken the soup, gradually mix a ladleful of hot soup into the eggs, then stir the eggy mixture back into the soup. heat through, but do not bring back to the boil.

Serve with the grated cheese.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.