in photography a print made by laying the negative on the photographic paper and exposing with white light.
Normally, a piece of heavy, flat glass is put on top to guarantee negative flatness.

A contact print does not use an enlarger: a bare 45 Watt bulb is more than enough for the task.
Contact prints are usually done as a quick-and-dirty way to see (more or less) what the photograph looks like

Proof sheets are usually contact prints. In large format work, the contact print can actually be the finished product.
Notice that the platinum printing process can only produce contact prints, which is why you rarely see very big platinum prints.

It should also be noted that contact printing is not always done without an enlarger. Why, just today, I was doing some contact printing for a view camera class with a Saunders/LPL enlarger. The advantage of using an enlarger over straight white light is the ability to use filters - pieces of colored plastic that control contrast in a print. I suppose you could cover your light bulb with a filter, but it probobly wouldn't be as effective as using an enlarger. However, for simple proofing procedures, baffo's suggestions will work just fine.

As a side note, when making a contact print, you want to place your film and paper emulsion to emulsion, to ensure best quality.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.