Chapters I and II of the

Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand



CHAPTER I

General Provisions

Section 1. Thailand is a unified and indivisible Kingdom.

Section 2. Thailand adopts a democratic regime of government with the King as Head of State.

Section 3. The sovereign power emanates from the Thai people. The King, who is Head of State, shall exercise such power through the National Assembly, the Council of Ministers and the Courts in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

Section 4. The Thai people, irrespective of their birth or religion, shall enjoy equal protection under this Constitution.

Section 5. The provision of any law, which is contrary to or inconsistent with this Constitution, shall be unenforceable.


CHAPTER II

The King

Section 6. The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action.

Section 7. The King is a Buddhist and Upholder of religions.

Section 8. The King holds the position of Head of the Thai Armed Forces.

Section 9. The King has the prerogative power to create titles and confer decorations.

Section 10. The King selects and appoints qualified persons President of the Privy Council and not more than eighteen
Privy Councillors to constitute the Privy Council. The Privy Council has a duty to advise the King on all matters pertaining to His functions as He may consult, and has other duties as provided in this Constitution.

Section 11. The selection and appointment as well as the removal of a Privy Councillor shall be at the King's pleasure. The President of the National Assembly shall countersign the Royal Command appointing or removing the President of the Privy Council. The President of the Privy Council shall countersign the Royal Command appointing or removing other Privy [Consuls].


Public document, published by the Government of Thailand at: http://www.parliament.go.th/files/library/b05-b.htm

Accessed 26 May 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.