In the Catholic Church, Commons are groups of reading appropriate for a type of celebration. They include First Readings, Responsorial Psalms, and Gospel Readings. One reading from each group may be selected for use during the Mass.

Often, more than one type of Common is appropriate for a celebration. When this occurs, readings may come from any of the Commons.

Easter is a special season for Commons. During Easter, a separate set of readings is assigned for the First Readings.

There a seven Commons for the liturgy. They are as follows:

Common for the Dedication of a Church
Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Common of Martyrs
Common of Pastors
Common of Doctors of the Church
Common of Virgins
Common of Holy Men and Women (Common of Saints)

Com"mons (?), n. pl.,

1.

The mass of the people, as distinguished from the titled chasses or nobility; the commonalty; the common people.

[Eng.]

'T is like the commons, rude unpolished hinds, Could send such message to their sovereign. Shak.

The word commons in its present ordinary signification comprises all the people who are under the rank of peers. Blackstone.

2.

The House of Commons, or lower house of the British Parliament, consisting of representatives elected by the qualified voters of counties, boroughs, and universities.

It is agreed that the Commons were no part of the great council till some ages after the Conquest. Hume.

3.

Provisions; food; fare, -- as that provided at a common table in colleges and universities.

Their commons, though but coarse, were nothing scant. Dryden.

4.

A club or association for boarding at a common table, as in a college, the members sharing the expenses equally; as, to board in commons.

5.

A common; public pasture ground.

To shake his ears, and graze in commons. Shak.

Doctors' Commons, a place near St. Paul's Chuchyard in London where the doctors of civil law used to common together, and where were the ecclesiastical and admiralty courts and offices having jurisdiction of marriage licenses, divorces, registration of wills, etc. -- To be on short commons, to have small allowance of food. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.